Club History


The Queen Adelaide Club began at the initiative of Mrs Margaret Annie Box early in 1909.

She gained the support of the most eminent women in South Australia. Together they secured a location which the Club still occupies on the corner of North Terrace  and Stephens Place, directly across the Terrace from Government House, five minutes' walk from the Adelaide Club and only a little further from Parliament House: the geographical apex of social and economic power and pleasure.

There they established an exclusive residential club 'for social and non-political purposes'; a place, as a later president was to observe, carried on by 'a few women who wanted a social centre with a certain standard of living and were prepared to pay for it'. They named their club after Queen Adelaide, wife of  William IV of England, who was already represented in the name of their city.

A century later, the membership is larger and more democratic. The Club is no longer residential; the neighbouring Adelaide Club offers mixed residential accommodation. Today the Club is connected to a network of distinguished residential clubs across the world, offers its members an ideal environment in which to play bridge, to enjoy discussions organised by an array of interest groups, and – above all – to savour its justly prized cuisine, and its excellent wines.


Above: Queen Adelaide Club. Image courtesy of the State Library of South Australia. SLSA B3299 East Corner of Stephens Place, 1909.